David C. ChavezPO Box 1615
Los Lunas, New Mexico 87031
David’s law practice is located in Los Lunas, New Mexico. David has represented injured people for more than 30 years. He tries cases to jury’s and judges throughout the State of New Mexico, and resolves cases through mediation, recovering millions of dollars on behalf of his injured clients and their families. David has worked on published appellate cases. He started in practice with his brothers, Tibo J. Chavez, Jr. and Reggie Chavez who he continues to associate on cases. David’s practice is focused primarily on litigation. He has served on a number of boards, committees, and task forces locally and throughout New Mexico.
David C. Chavez was born and raised in Belen, NM. He grew up on the family farm with three brothers. David’s father, the late Judge Tibo J. Chavez, started the practice in 1939. He was a Thirteenth Judicial District Court Judges in Valencia County; served as NM State Senator for Valencia County; served as State Senate Majority Leader; and Lieutenant Governor for the State of NM. The late Judge Tibo J. Chavez was also a member of the UNM Board of Regents; President of the Museum of NM Board of Regents; Member of the State Police Board and Author of Historic Preservation Legislation.
David’s mother, the late Betty Chavez was described as a walking encyclopedic of New Mexico history. She was raised in Portales, NM. She became immersed in New Mexico history. Betty’s love for history and the state was demonstrated by her commitment to various state and local organizations. Betty Chavez was a member of the Daughters of the Confederate as well as the Daughters of the American Revolution.
David is married to Renee Antoinette Baca-Chavez who owns and operates Renee Antoinette’s school of dance in Belen. They have four children.
- Attended law school at Drake University
- Obtained Juris Doctorate from the University of New Mexico School of Law in 1983
- Licensed to practice in the State Courts of New Mexico
- Licensed to practice in the Tenth Circuit Court before the Federal United States Court of Appeals
- Licensed to practice in the State Courts in Colorado
REPRESENTATION AND PROSECUTION FOR MUNICIPAL ENTITIES
- Special prosecutor for the Thirteenth Judicial District Attorney’s Office
- Attorney for the Village of Bosque Farms and prosecutor for the Village of Bosque Farms for 19 years
- Past Belen City Attorney
- Past Valencia County Attorney
- New Mexico Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Colorado Bar Association
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association
- Former Fellow of the New Mexico Bar Association
- Valencia County Bar Association, Past Vice President
- Past Board Member New Mexico Young Lawyers Division Bar; Past Liaison to the Young Lawyer Division – trial practice section
- Past Los Lunas School-Law Related Education Advisory Board
- New Mexico House of Representatives, 2010-2012
- University of New Mexico Valencia Campus Board Member, March 1999 through 2010